These photo tours offer exquisite light on the Alaska Range, potential for pond reflection shots, and optimal lighting on Mt. Denali when visible.
Duration: 3.5 hours
Tour Times: Tours start between 8:00 & 9:00 PM and last until Midnight or 1:00 AM depending on the time of the sunset.
Transportation: Included (from all Denali area hotels)
- Adult (13+)
- Child (8-12)
Midnight Sun Photography Tour
Experience the thrill of chasing the Midnight Sun and photograph the dramatic sunset colors in Denali with a maximum of 4 participants per tour. This tour provides a personalized photography experience featuring a prolonged “magic hour.” Revel in the beautiful alpenglow on the mountains, and spectacular cloudscapes. During mid-summer, sunset is close to midnight due to our far north location. The sunset colors last for an extended period of time, giving us ample opportunity to move to several locations during “golden hour” for instruction and experimentation with different compositions, focal lengths, and exposure settings. This tour also offers good potential for moose sightings because there is less human activity during this time of day.
The best camera is the one you have! Our tour is designed to benefit all skill levels with any type of camera (smartphones welcome). No matter what gear you have, our guides will be able to help you progress as a photographer. Beginners will learn techniques to get more out of their equipment; how to read light and adjust their exposure settings to photograph Alaska’s stunning scenery and wildlife in a way that “does it justice.” Advanced photographers will enjoy the luxury of being driven to the best locations without having to rent a car or trying to scout the vast and unfamiliar landscape.
What to Bring
- Weather can change quickly in Denali so bring an extra layer and a raincoat.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended – there may be some walking on variable terrain if desired.
- Don’t forget your camera, lenses, and extra battery! We provide tripods & filters.
- In an effort to reduce waste, please bring water in your own reusable bottle. Snacks are provided and extra water is available.
- Digital cameras with long zoom lenses are available to rent, and you keep the memory card.
- This trip is suitable for all skill levels and all cameras, including smartphones.
- Activity level is easy.
- Transportation is provided to and from all Denali area hotels. Tours begin upon pick-up; there is no shuttling or caravanning. Tours travel to multiple locations in a luxury truck that is easy to get in and out of.
- We do our best to create opportunities for viewing wildlife and “The Mountain” (Denali), but we cannot guarantee it because the weather and behavior of animals are out of our control.
- Guides will take guests to the best locations given the current weather conditions, light, and wildlife activity.
- Keep in mind the time change to Alaska Time is 4 hours earlier than Eastern Time so 8:00 PM in AK is Midnight in Eastern Time.
- Safety and quality of experience are our tip priorities
- Please read our weather & cancellation policy.
Limited Seating Available
If there are no “Book Instantly” seats available, we will confirm your seats as soon as possible (within 3 days).